Pretty much as soon the action on the fig tree died down, Eastern Spinebills appeared in great numbers. By 'great numbers' I mean about five, but that is great numbers for my yard.
| Eastern Spinebill |
I got an iPhone video out the window of them doing their best hummingbird impressions on the grevillea. (Though it lost a lot of quality in the upload - oops!)
Then, on an Easter trip to the WTP I spied a few of our little winter visitors from New Zealand in the T-Section ponds.
| a phonescoped Double-banded Plover |
Another sure sign things are cooling down is Swift Parrots! Who doesn't love Swift Parrots? The first report I heard of them this season was along the bike trail through Tikalara Park in Templestowe. Luckily the stars aligned for me the following day and I managed to get out there after work. I got to watch a few of the parrots feeding in the late afternoon sun and a flock of at least 25 was zooming around overhead - so cool!
| hello up there! |
Then even greater numbers were reported at LaTrobe University in Bundoora. My usual Swifty-spotting technique is to rock up and listen for guinea pigs (I swear they sound so similar). This was a bit more challenging at the uni given there were also a lot of Musk Lorikeets and some unexpectedly noisy rhinos.
| rhinos with sound effects |
But I ended up seeing quite a few of the birds and getting some great views. And I also bumped into many other birders and photographers who'd come to welcome the endangered Swift Parrots back to the mainland for another winter.
| this one sat still for a few minutes within superzoom range (thank you!) |
| this one had a quick drink with some Musk friends |
A few weeks later around ANZAC Day heaps of Pied Currawongs turned up. They seemed very busy flying around everywhere and calling constantly. This changed up the local soundtrack for a day or so and I captured a little of it on my phone.
These guys traditionally venture down from the mountains at this time of year but some people have reported seeing bigger numbers than usual around Melbourne at the moment. There are still a lot hanging around here though they've quietened down quite a bit now.
And robins! These little cuties also escape the chill of the high country for the relatively less-chill low country during winter. Last weekend I went looking for some Flame Robins with my mum at Koomba Park - success!
| we found this handsome guy by the paddocks |
Yay autumn!
The Swift Parrots are insanely gorgeous and make me want to immediately fly somewhere tropical. Is that a dog riding a rhino? Speaking of dogs, the sound from the spinebill video convinced my dog that there is an animal in the fireplace.
ReplyDeleteThat is indeed a dog on the rhino, with his rabbit friend. I've seen these guys in a few spots around Melbourne. And I hope your dog is not still looking in the fireplace... Spoonbills do have some pretty loud wing beats!
DeleteWow! Gorgeous! I love large birds that behave like hummingbirds! We get Orioles coming to our hummingbird feeders! (Devon from feathersandflora.com)
ReplyDeleteHey Dev! The spinebills are pretty small, but then I don't really know how small hummingbirds are ;)
Delete