12 September 2018

Wild Bird Wednesday: Tree Martins

I have a few leftover photos from my recent WTP adventures so I'm joining in Wild Bird Wednesday this week with... Tree Martins!

like this one

and this one 

One of those days out at the WTP it was really wintery - dark and cloudy with heavy showers rolling through. Luckily a lot of birding out there can easily be done from the car.

So during one shower, while I stayed nice and dry, I stopped to watch some Welcome Swallows. They alternated between zooming around and perching on the fence next to the road and amongst them were some little white rumps - this means martins!

martin, swallow, martin

I did manage to catch a glimpse of a red head also zooming by, so there was at least one Fairy Martin, but there seemed to be a lot more of the Tree variety.

And a few of these guys joined the swallows on the fence, holding their wings out to get a bit of a shower (or at least I think that was the idea).

more swallows, one martin

and a wet Welcome Swallow

They were happy to sit quite still so I managed these photos through the open car window with my lil' superzoom. They were quite close and very cute.

Tree Martins (and Fairy Martins, btw) generally migrate north for the winter then return for the warmer months. Seeing these guys is usually a sign that spring is on its way, although you wouldn't have thought so on that particular day!

Find a few more Tree Martin fun facts here and here.

10 comments

  1. Great photos!
    They are really cute birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid pictures! the WTP is a remarkable place - and its always good for a laugh when people find out where you have been!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stewart - I was quite happy with how the pics came out given the conditions!

      Delete
    2. Had the pleasure of showing this species to a group of Canadian birders on the weekend - it would be reasonable to say that they were impressed by the WTP! SM

      Delete
    3. It would be impressive for birders from overseas - I'm often overwhelmed by how much is going on there and I'm a local!

      Delete
  3. Great photos of adorable birds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As one of the Canadian birders that Stewart escorted to and chaperoned around the WTP I can safely say that I was VERY impressed, not the least by my very gracious host, and now firm friend, Stewart. And this doesn’t even take into account the birds,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome David! And it would definitely help having a local as your guide!

      Delete