To kick off my challenge, I decided to get out early to the Royal Botanic Gardens. I've only birded here once before, and figured there'd be less people around on New Year's morning than on a weekend when I'd probably usually go.
I got there just after the gates opened at 7.30am and straight away there was a lot of small bird action. A Grey Fantail appeared, there were some White-browed Scrubwrens in the undergrowth and I noticed a couple of Spotted Pardalotes high up in a tall gum. A whole bunch of Silvereyes also flew in and got some little fruit snacks on one of the bushes.
| a sweet little Silvereye |
I started around the Ornamental Lake where I found some ducks snoozing on the small landing that the punts leave from.
I could hear a Pacific Koel somewhere in the gardens which had been calling since I'd got out of my car. I wondered whether I should go and try to track it down but it seemed quite far... then suddenly it seems a lot closer so I headed towards it. Of course it stopped calling and when it started again it sounded like it was coming from the opposite direction. *sigh*
| I did find some more Wood Ducks on the detour |
I gave up on the Koel and made a side-track into the Fern Gully hopeful of some Bassian Thrushes that have been reported several times on eBird. I thought the Fern Gully would be a likely spot but no Bassians, only few more White-browed Scrubwren and Common Blackbirds.
Actually there were a lot of blackbirds around, in the garden beds and on the lawns, which I guess is not surprising for this kind of habitat.
And speaking of introduced birds, Common Mynas also seemed to be everywhere.
Back by the water there were quite a few Silver Gulls just sitting around - the picnickers hadn't arrived yet so what else is there do?
Besides coots and ducks there were two Black Swans on the lake and a few Little Black Cormorants fishing. There were also plenty of Dusky Moorhens and Australasian Swamphens. I scanned the islands for Nankeen-night Herons which are often reported but didn't see any. Maybe that's not where they roost!
The Bell Miners hang out around the Lower Yarra Habitat section in the north-east part of lake - but you can easily hear their chiming from the other side of the water too! I think this is one of only two colonies in my 5MR and they are really easy to see here.
Completing my walk around the lake I got great views of an Australian Reed Warbler I'd seen very briefly when I first arrived.
Parrot-wise this section had offered up a lot of the usual Rainbow Lorikeets, one fly-over male Red-rumped Parrot and a couple of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos.
I explored a bit of the southern section of the gardens but only added Laughing Kookaburras to the list - three of them, heard first and then tracked down to a big fig tree.
I also checked out Guilfoyle's Volcano which I hadn't visited before.
The sun was warming up by this stage and I felt like I'd seen about all I was going to see that morning so made my way back out of the gardens. I'd found 35 species to start off the 2019 birding year and the 5MR Challenge!
The Reed Warbler was probably the best bird for my 5MR and I'll have to make some more regular visits to this hotspot to try for a few more tricky 5MR birds - the Bassian Thrush, an Australasian Darter, perhaps some of the less common ducks and this is one place I could also connect with Powerful Owls. Can I also hope for a Southern Boobook? They have been seen here...
Hopefully I can find some of these and lots of other nice birds in my 5MR in 2019 - stay tuned!
| ok so it is still behind one reed but that's kind of their deal |
Parrot-wise this section had offered up a lot of the usual Rainbow Lorikeets, one fly-over male Red-rumped Parrot and a couple of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos.
| this guy was up to mischief with some mates |
| and this cocky just sat way up high on the top of a pine tree |
I explored a bit of the southern section of the gardens but only added Laughing Kookaburras to the list - three of them, heard first and then tracked down to a big fig tree.
I also checked out Guilfoyle's Volcano which I hadn't visited before.
| there are some cool cacti here |
| and views of the city skyline |
The sun was warming up by this stage and I felt like I'd seen about all I was going to see that morning so made my way back out of the gardens. I'd found 35 species to start off the 2019 birding year and the 5MR Challenge!
The Reed Warbler was probably the best bird for my 5MR and I'll have to make some more regular visits to this hotspot to try for a few more tricky 5MR birds - the Bassian Thrush, an Australasian Darter, perhaps some of the less common ducks and this is one place I could also connect with Powerful Owls. Can I also hope for a Southern Boobook? They have been seen here...
Hopefully I can find some of these and lots of other nice birds in my 5MR in 2019 - stay tuned!
| Happy birding for 2019! |
Certainly a better start to the year than I'll be getting! Love that stretching Bell Miner. Looking forward to what else you'll be getting in your patch this year.
ReplyDeleteThanks Forest, it'll be interesting to see what you find too!
DeleteHappy New Year to you too, Emma. I think this is a very worthwhile goal to try to see as many species as possible in your local area. It will be a great challenge, but only against yourself, without undue pressure, and it will compel you to explore areas that you have not previously experienced, this first foray into the Botanic Garden a prime example. These kinds of gardens are very good for birding in my experience since the resident birds are accustomed to people and are, therefore, not quite as skittish as they might be in other locations. I think the key to success is exactly what you did - get there early before the crowds. Best of luck with your 5MR.
ReplyDeleteThanks, David. And yes, a lot of the birds at the gardens are not too scared of people, especially if it's lunchtime!
DeleteReading this is like reading a fairy tale! "Powerful Owl" 😲 I hope you connect with a boobook too!
ReplyDeleteYes it would be nice to find some local owls!
DeleteThe Botanic Gardens can be great at times - I had a pair of Powerful Owls there a while ago - but I also find the herons hard to find.
ReplyDeleteCheers - Stewart M - Melbourne
It is a great spot considering how close it is to the city!
DeleteHI Emma, I just zipped over from Jen's 5MR update, and congrats on your fine start on the challenge. I would give an eye tooth the birds you shared!
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting, Sondra!
DeleteThis is incredible to me. I also have Rainbow Lorikeets and Sulphur-crested Cockatoos in my 5MR, but they are part of the local zoo. To see them flying around wild like that so close to your home is borderline incomprehensible! 35 species on day one seems like a solid start, as I have only managed that same number after the first month of 5MRing. Best of luck to you, and I will look forward to learning much more about Australian birds from your blog.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Greg! Rainbow Lorikeets are super common around Melbourne and are one of my very few backyard birds. I look forward to seeing what you find in your 5MR too - and no doubt those birds will seem incredible to me ;)
Delete