After only adding one bird to the
2019 challenge in February, I thought I should get out and try to find a few more in March.
 |
| back to the Botanic Gardens |
Conveniently some Rufous Fantails had been reported in the Royal Botanic Gardens so I went for a look early on Saturday of the Labour Day long weekend. Up to five had been reported during the week but I was still super pleased when I found just one of them. It flitted about only allowing brief clear views and definitely no photos. And it was hanging around with a large flock of Silvereyes which were constantly moving around and feeding.
 |
| Silvereyes + snacks |
I also found another 5MR year bird - a Golden Whistler that was also possibly associating with this flock.
 |
| the whistler was a bit shy |
Many of the other usual birds at the Gardens were out and about too.
 |
I spotted this young Nankeen Night-Heron shortly after arriving
|
 |
| and this is a Grey (not Rufous) Fantail |
 |
| there were also quite a few Eastern Spinebills |
 |
| and a cormorant combo on the Ornamental Lake |
In March I visited Bolin Bolin Billabong for the first time this year and had success in finding a couple of species I was hoping for there. Yellow-faced Honeyeaters appeared in pretty much the same spot I'd seen them
last time and I got distant views of Striated Thornbills. Thankfully the little guys were calling to let me know they were around.
 |
| Yellow-faced Honeyeater |
Also at Bolin Bolin I heard a Swamp Wallaby bounding off and although the water was still very low in the billabong there were a few birds on the small pond of weird-coloured water.
 |
| Australian Wood Ducks with ducklings |
 |
| White-faced Heron |
Speaking of billabongs, I realised that I hadn't seen a 5MR Australiasian Darter yet and remembered seeing them on eBird lists every now and then from
Kew Golf Club Billabong. Thanks to a tip from Leigh I realised that this hotspot was viewable from the Main Yarra Trail and turns out it's a very short walk from Burke Road Billabong Reserve where I've been birding quite a bit.
 |
| the view from the bike path |
 |
| ...and on the other side |
Too bad this section of the trail runs along the Eastern Freeway. But the darters and cormorants don't seem to mind the 8 lanes of 100km/h traffic or all the bike riders and walkers.
 |
| I counted about 12 Australasian Darters |
 |
| but none of them seemed to be the black-fronted males |
 |
| there were also Great Cormorants nesting in the dead trees in the middle of the water |
 |
| one gumtree on the far side was full of Little Black Cormorants |
 |
| and a few bonus Australian White Ibis |
There were also Little Pied Cormorants and I saw a Nankeen Night-Heron fly across the water into cover. So it turned out to be pretty birdy spot and I got a bonus Mistletoebird at Burke Road Billabong Reserve on my way back through - yay!
Closer to home, I'd been hearing large flocks of Corellas flying around the neighbourhood which were most likely Little, rather than Long-billed. But I can't tell from the call and hadn't got a proper look so didn't officially put them on the list until I caught up with a flock that had settled into snacking on the exotic trees at a local footy ground.
 |
| Yep, Little |
 |
| a small fraction of the flock |
Towards the end of the month I met my mum at Wurundjeri Walk. There were some big flocks of Little Corellas flying around here too but the parrot highlight was some Crimson Rosellas - another new 5MR bird for 2019!
 |
| Wurundjeri Walk |
All-up in March I found eight more 5MR birds for a year total of 79. Those Rufous Fantails and Little Corellas are a sign that Autumn movements are underway so hopefully a few more interesting things turn up as the weather cools down.
Hello Emma: I am in Panama right now and the birds I am seeing are quite different from those you show us here. All are wonderful, of course, but I am always happy to see your posts because it reminds me of our fabulous visit last year. Good luck with your ongoing quest to fill out the species list for your plot.
ReplyDeleteThanks David and I'm sure you're seeing some awesome birds in Panama! Look forward to seeing some on your blog soon ;)
DeleteThanks for sharing these wonderful photos. I love the Silvereye eating a berry!
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome! Thanks for visiting :)
DeleteI love reading your blog! So many awesome birds in this post, plus I got sucked into a youtube blackhole of wallaby videos.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jen!! And I hope you enjoyed your wallaby black hole!
DeleteSuch great birds! I have a soft spot for Eastern Spinebills, probably my favorite of the "common" honeyeaters in Oz.
ReplyDeleteYes, Eastern Spinebills are great little birds to have around!
DeleteThe Botanic Gardens are a good place to bird I think! Just had a huge flock of corellas fly over!
ReplyDeleteCheers - Stewart M - Melbourne
Yeah there are a lot of corellas around - saw an insane flock on my way to work the other day!
DeleteYour 5MR list for the year is progressing. Great photos as usual, particularly like those of the Silvereye and the Darter
ReplyDeleteYeah those Silvereyes were surprisingly easy to get photos of - too distracted by snacks!
Delete